Sunday, September 19, 2010

Seattle and a Wedding

I had never been to Seattle and after receiving a wedding invitation to be held in Portland, Oregon I figured I might as well take a detour to visit the Evergreen State. So we packed up the car and headed out to Seattle. The scenery on the way there is much more intriguing than say Utah; all through the mountains we could see lush greenery and beautiful dark blue water. We stayed with my friend Megan who happens to live right by Puget Sound. Growing up in a hot and humid place like Houston I couldn't fathom not having AC in the house; but here they just opened a window. Sight-seeing was quite an adventure. I had never taken the subway anywhere so Megan suggested we take a ride to downtown Seattle. Of course you can't visit Seattle without going to see the Space Needle. To be honest I didn't go up to the very top because as a college student, this trip was already taking a chunk out of my bank account.

 We drove down to Portland just in time for the rehearsal dinner at Rheinlander German Restaurant. I had never heard of it but was quite satisfied with the food and entertainment by the end of the night. We all joined in singing German folk songs about women and beer while banging on the tables. The food was quite delicious I especially enjoyed the sausages and dipping sauces. For dinner we had a juicy flank steak and scampi skewer (garlic marinated shrimp) accompanied by scalloped potatoes and seasoned vegetables. After a few "get to know you" games the night finally came to a close but not without eating an Apple Strudel desert first. Yum!

  Portland had never seen temperatures this high during the month of August but this day temperatures had reached well into the high nineties. There wasn't a breeze all day or a cloud in the sky. The wedding happened to be outside and it wasn't until the late evening that temperatures finally cooled down. The ceremony was beautiful despite all the sweaty guests but she looked more lovely than ever. I must confess I did shed a few tears as I watched my two friends begin their eternity together. The couple had this serene blissful look on their faces the entire evening. The trip back to Provo was very enjoyable that is if you are a fan of nature. There were tall, green pine trees all around us and as we inhaled the sweet smell of nature enveloped us.

No comments:

Post a Comment